Open to all applicants globally!
- Could you sell hair care products to Patrick Stewart
- Do you nerd out on the latest online marketing techniques?
- Do you love helping your team learn and grow?
- Do you thrive in a high-stress environment filled with political infighting, bureaucracy, and corporate nonsense?
If so, then we are the place for you, except you might hate how nice of a company we have - filled with happy, generally competent people that don’t put up with jerks. Frankly, it makes me sick how nice everyone is.
We are remote full time, have very flexible hours, people are judged by their output, not by how much they suck up to the boss, and turnover is super low because the company believes that happy employees = happy customers = happy bank account. Simply disgusting, if you ask me.
--Is this a real job ad?--
Yup! Amazingly enough, we actually paid money to post this on a bunch of different job sites. And it’s not even a pyramid scheme! Plus, get this: the owner just started paying our 80ish employees with money instead of Pizza Hut coupons - we’re big time, people.
Our careers page is actually worth checking out to learn more about how insane we are (sidenote: it won a web design award in 1993 - we’re a pretty big deal):
--What do you guys do?--
Our business involves taking random products and then marketing the heck out of them, primarily on Amazon. We have hundreds of SKUs at the moment and are launching around 10-20 new products every single month. A small sampling:
- Bad Parking Cards (http://amzn.com/B01HLGZRCQ)
- Cable Tie Mounts (http://amzn.com/B06XNBS6TG)
- K2-D3 Capsules (http://amzn.com/B07C451MZ9)
We want to launch as many products as we can. Our business is growing rapidly every year, and it’s our intention to continue that for as long as possible, which means we need good people to help us keep up with the growth.
--What is your company like?--
1. Full Time Remote/Flexible Hours. You will be working from home in your pajamas, on your schedule. And we don’t care if you work 10 hour days 4 days a week or want to catch up on the weekend. So long as you get a lot of work done, we’re happy campers.
2. Complete Work/Life Balance. If you’re routinely working more than 45ish hours, you’re gonna get a friendly talking-to. We want you to be operating at 100% capacity, which means that you need to rest.
3. You Can Be Yourself. You don’t have to put on a fake, professional face. You can just be yourself. You can talk smack to the CEO, and no one will think anything of it.
4. Major Opportunities for Career Growth. We are not trying to just be a small business. We plan to be doing $100 million annually in the next few years. We promote quickly once we identify talent. It doesn’t matter what your credentials are – it matters what you get done.
5. Strongly Anti-BS. Anybody in the company can (and is expected to) tell the CEO when he is wrong. There are no bureaucratic or BS rules getting in the way of getting work done.
6. No Micro-Management. Once you’re trained and have demonstrated you know your stuff, we are pretty hands-off. In fact, if you need external management to stay on-task and motivated, we probably aren’t the place for you.
7. Supportive Environment. We don’t operate via intense stress or unreasonable top-down deadlines. Everyone wants you to be successful – internal politics are at a minimum here.
8. No Toxic People Allowed. We try very hard to screen out mean people before they get in, but in case they slip through, we fire them quickly. Imagine never having to interact with toxic people at work - how nice would that be?
9. We’ll Invest in Your Training. We want you and everyone to get better constantly. You’ll be learning new things all the time, and are strongly encouraged to invest time every day to learn new things, improve your system/work process, and just generally try to make your life easier.
10. Four+ Weeks Vacation. We 100% want you to recharge, so having plenty of time off is absolutely worth it.
11. Self-Funded So We Can Do What’s Right for Us. We don’t have to answer to anyone but ourselves, so we can make the right decision for the long-term health of the company vs trying to get big too fast or cut corners to appease some selfish investor.
--What are your company’s values?--
See here: http://www.jlstradingco.com/careers/
Yes, those are legitimately our values. The careers page is definitely worth checking out - it’s not just normal corporate BS. We promise you’ll learn a lot about us.
--OK, so I’ve read like 8 dang pages about you guys. Will you tell me what the actual job is?--
--So, what will I actually be doing?--
Super short version:
We basically don’t have a marketing department, which I’m sure you’ll agree is pretty silly for a $16m E-Commerce company. We have a lot of pretty cool products, and more on the way, and we need you to put these products in front of the right audience, so that we can sell more of them!
Here is a bulleted list of responsibilities:
- Figure out what marketing channels we should be selling through
- Prove that we can profitably sell through those channels
- Build systems so that you aren’t the one doing the day-to-day operation of those channels
- Build a team of marketers to scale to do the same/similar process on all of our existing catalogs and the new products in the pipeline
- Scale your department as the company scales
This is effectively building a marketing department from scratch, which has a lot of pros but also cons. If you want the freedom to build as you see fit, this is the position for you.
Like everyone else in the company, you will also need to innovate regularly - which means figuring out ways to improve quality and production speed.
It is challenging, but fun work that’s going to require a lot of time and task management, problem-solving, and a reasonable amount of people skills.
--Do I need experience?--
Yes. This is not an entry level position. You are going to de-facto be an executive in the company and need to have relevant experience doing this and managing people.
--Do I need a college degree?--
You just need to be awesome.
--What marketing do you currently do?--
We just throw things onto Amazon with PPC and hope for the best. It’s worked OK to this point, but we could be 2-3x bigger with proper marketing.
--Is there a team in place?--
We have some junior marketers who are sorta/kinda doing stuff, but nothing serious. Mostly light activities on Amazon.
--Do you have budget?--
Yes, within reason. We’re definitely not gonna be doing a Superbowl ad anytime soon, but I also fully intend to spend money to make this work.
--This sounds pretty good, though I’m still skeptical that this isn’t a pyramid scheme.--
Haha - you sound just like my parole officer!
--That doesn’t resolve any of my fears, but what do I need to do to apply?--
Please submit your information on the following page to apply:
We promise to respond within 5-10 business days even if our answer is No.
There will be multiple steps in this process, FYI, including a long written application, interviews with potentially a few different people, and paid work test(s). Hiring the right people is really hard and very expensive if we do it poorly, so we have to front-load the process. I'm sorry about that and thank you for sticking with us.
Once you’re in our pipeline though, I would anticipate giving you a final answer within a few weeks, depending on how it goes. We definitely don’t want to string you along, and as long as you do what we ask, we promise to tell you “yes” or “no”, and to not just ghost you (like everybody I match with on Tinder).
Thank you for your time and interest, and I hope we can work together soon!
JLS Trading Co. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, JLS Trading Co. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
JLS Trading Co. expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of JLS Trading Co.’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
See above. This is not an entry level position. You are going to de-facto be an executive in the company and need to have relevant experience doing this and managing people.
We're super fair people and you'll be well compensated in this role.
Probably the best place you'll ever work - people absolutely love it here, and you will too.
We've built a tool to help you discover all of the remote jobs that never get advertised.Discover Power Search
Just the remote jobs you want sent straight to your inbox weekly.